In this section:
LSSI Director and Professor of Criminology and Criminal Justice (ESSL)
Adam’s research interests include public policing, private security, crime prevention, community safety, partnerships, youth justice, anti-social behaviour, victims of crime, restorative justice, urban governance and the regulation of public space.
He has successfully secured over £10 million in external research funding, mostly as principal investigator.
LSSI Deputy Director and Professor in Social and Urban Change (Environment)
Paul’s research interests include critical geopolitics, climate change, social justice, civil society, the environment, and social movements. He has long-standing research interests concerning development, environment and the practices of social movements in the Global South and Global North. His work involves politically engaged and committed research that is practice-based and conducted in horizontal collaboration with social movements.
LSSI Deputy Director and Professor of Transport and Social Analysis (ITS)
Karen has had 20 years experience in social research in transport. Her research interests include transport poverty and social disadvantage, public participation and knowledge brokerage, social impact evaluation, and car dependence.
LSSI Deputy Director and Chair in Sociology and Social Theory
Adrian is an interdisciplinary sociologist, with research interests in migration studies, urban and regional studies (particularly Europe and East Asia), and contemporary arts. He previously held professorships at UCLA, Aarhus University, Denmark, and Sciences Po, Paris.
LSSI Research and Innovation Development Manager
White Rose Social Science Doctoral Training Partnership, Leeds Coordinator
Hannah has been with the University for five years, working as a Senior Trial Coordinator for the Institute of Clinical Trials Research. She studied Sociology and Criminology at Leeds Beckett University.
She is looking forward to engaging with social scientists across the university and supporting their interdisciplinary research going forward.
LSSI Support Assistant
The Steering Group oversees the work of LSSI. It reviews and agrees priorities for activities which will:
- Foster a creative and intellectually stimulating environment for social scientists in Leeds to help them innovate, collaborate and develop visionary research
- Provide co-ordinated training for social scientists at all career stages
- To respond to new opportunities for funding for research or innovation and to stimulate responses to those opportunities and, where appropriate, coordinate the preparation of large scale cross-institutional bids with RIS
- Maximise internal and external collaboration and strategic alliances within and beyond the social sciences, and will act as the first point of contact for N8 initiatives.
- Communicate and showcase (both internally and externally) the social sciences at Leeds including our distinctive strengths, expertise, activity, new opportunities, supporting new staff, hosting major international events etc.
- Provide a six month update on the social sciences action plan to Faculties and Research & Innovation Board, plus an annual update on progress to Faculty Management Group (via the Social Sciences Strategic Oversight Group)
Click here for a full list of LSSI Steering Group members
- To oversee the implementation of the Social Sciences Research Strategy with the aim of achieving globally-recognised excellence in research
- To advise on the key strategic priorities related to the Strategy, ensuring ongoing connectivity with relevant existing University wide themes, activities and groups such as Research & Innovation Board, ESRC Strategic Panel
- To monitor and review the external funding environment, identify future patterns of research or innovation activity and to make recommendations concerning the internal infrastructure which will be necessary to support them.
- To receive from Leeds Social Sciences Institute progress reports and recommendations concerning the development of the social sciences at Leeds.
Click here for a full list of Social Sciences Research Oversight Group members
Members of the Impact Acceleration Account Review Team consider application forms for each activity strand of our IAA.
Click here for a full membership list of the Impact Acceleration Account review team